Friday, August 24, 2007

My Cambodia maid

My new maid had with me for a week now. First few days are really a headache for me, beside than communication problem. She don’t really take initiative to do the housework, she need someone to guide her. And me have to work during day time and night time go back than will teach her how to do things.

First few days I don’t really give her pressure and thought maybe she still not get use of the new environment & home sick. I give her time and let her have more time to learn. Guide her through the housework and things that she need to do during the weekends. I can say within that four days she is slow. One kicks than only she makes a move. Everytime I talk to her she look so “blank” and I know we got communication problem, I use sign language and simple English. She also don’t know how to answer me back. *sigh*

Monday morning, I lose my cool. She had been four days with us, so I think she could had pick up some work from there already. But no, she still the usual her. She can’t wake up in the morning even I give her an alarm clock. Few days I have to wake her up, one day the alarm rang till I wake up she still in her dreamland. I got so pissed! Again, on Monday it’s already 6.20am she still sleeping, I wake her up. So ask her to put the laundry to the machine and wash, and instruct her “how” to do the housework again. When my sons wake up I ask her to make milk for my boys. She look so so blur and blank and look at me. I told her “milk”, and she goes and make juice for my boys. I tell u, the fire is burning on my head, I just shouted! Yes, early in the morning I shouted like a mad woman! I make the milk and show her, “MILK”, this is “MILK” so I make her to read 10x “milk”, (me so mean huh!) She can tell me that is call “MILK POWDER”. Aiyo! I have to tell her milk powder is milk powder, milk is milk. She knows me is super angry on that morning, if it is the first day I can forgive, but it is already the 5th day since she work here, and I do let her to make milk, I thought she know what is MILK? I let her follow our another indon maid at home on Monday since she is not working that day. So I told the indon maid teach her how to do housework, and guide her and teach her how to use washing machine! First day when she is here I already taught her how to use washing machine but I didn’t know that she always go and open the cover when the machine still running, before it end she had already took the clothes out and dry!

I think that indon maid do give her a “good training” or after my “scream” she improved within a day! To my surprise and I’m so impress, although we still can’t communicate, only use sign language and I speak simple English with her. Now she can wake up at 6am in the morning herself, do the housework, clean the room, and get herself ready before the boys come home and will refill the water and milk powder, anything that I had taught her. Bravo! I did praise her did a good job, I show her a “Good” sign. She looks happy. Now, I can see some smile on her face and now she “talk” to me more often, even though I still don’t understand at all!

When the maid is here the second day, Vien msn me, ask me do I need help. She got a Cambodian friend, which is in US too, she can ask for her help. I’m so glad to hear that, she like my “life saver”, she is my light when I’m in the dark room. Thanks Vien! I told her yes, I want to learn some Cambodian language. Quickly I wrote her two lists for her to translate it from English to Cambodian language for me. I give her about 32 sentences, which I use most of the time. Waited for three days, Vien msn me on tue afternoon.

Vien: Hi, u ready to learn Cambodian language?

Me: Yeah, I’m ready, I’m so excited. Feel like wan to “poo poo” la..hahahaha

Vien: U sure want to “poo poo” first?

Me: No la, I’m just joking. Let’s start now.

Vien: Ready? Sure?

Me: Yes..faster faster..

Vien: Oh ya, I didn’t get all the sentences for u, it’s too difficult to pronounce.

Vien: Two hours only for 16 sentences!

Me: hahahaha, never mind.

Vien: Ok, get ready? I start lo…

Me: Yes, faster faster, me very excited la

Vien: #1 ti-et lao pram 3 (3 in Cantonese) sap (ham-sap = sap) trapt

Vien: #2 Boh uut (pronounce as “U”)

Vien: #3 3 ak 3 line prao lak kao ai nung lak klung ma-shim bauk kao ai

Vien: Any questions? Can we continue? Can we proceed to #4

This is how Vien and me communicate over msn!!!!!! I could not stop laughing while I take down the notes! I got the list with me, so I just put that pronunciation beside the sentences! While I take down the notes, I’m thinking myself what will my maid react when I read this to her. I just laugh laugh laugh myself at my computer. I’m so excited when I get all 16 sentences finish with the pronunciation. When I’m driving I try to memories some which is “had ur dinner” & “had ur shower”? But it is so hard to remember!!

Reach home, I take out the paper and read to my maid. I ask her in Cambodian word “had ur shower”? She looks so funny and puzzle! Hahahaha..she don’t understand me? Maybe I read it in a flat tone? (of course la! How I know what tone should I use?) So I repeat myself four times, and read all the sentences see which one she understand. Suddenly she said “ma’am no”. I like “huh? What no? u’re answer me or tell me I’m wrong”. So I did learn some single word like “U” & “Me” but I got it right! She understands. She told me “ma’am you’re Christian” and she show a cross, and she said she is Buddhist, she didn’t said she is Buddhist but she put her both palm together and do praying sign. Hahahaha. This is how we COMMUNICATE!! So I assume Christian and Buddhist will have different language?? I have yet to find out from Vien. Vien’s friend is busy, so I think I will have to give up learning Cambodian word since Christian and Buddhist will have different language? I think we have to take sometime to understand each other. But I can tell is her work is good and is improve a lot! I didn’t make a wrong choice. Or is it too early to judge? Well, those of you who want to get a Cambodia maid, they are good only things is COMMUNICATION PROBLEM. And good things is they can’t communicate with other people so how can they run away? My both sons like their “new kakak” they still call her “kakak” if no, got any new name for “kakak”? And she accept that she is “kakak” also LOL! I’m a bit surprise is my boys like her when first day she is here, I ask her to bath them and change them, two monkeys just obey and let her change. Hope there won’t have anymore “hot & juicy” maid story from me, but maybe some maid jokes from me?

23 comments:

Vien said...

LOL! I wanna hear you pronounce those words..see if it is right or not..hahaha.

jazzmint said...

hehe..good to hear ur maid improving :)

Etcetera~Mommy said...

*LOL.. rolling on the floor* I think she is trying her best. So with time she will be a great help.. you can go for your manicure and pedicure again on weekends. Oh did you ask your Indon maid what magic she did on her la.. jampi jampi a bit?? :D

mybabybay said...

I really hope this maid work out for you. I can see your stress in your post.

Jacss said...

at first u r really scaring me lor...but luckily now everythg seems fine!!

mine will arrv around oct, wish me luck!!

btw, i'm going to get a english-cambodian language dictionary (hopefully to find one with photos)

IMMomsDaughter said...

At least she bucked up after your volcano exploded. Lol. Blessing in disguise hor?

Btw, very kind of Vien to help. Good luck to you with the learning.

Mommy to Chumsy said...

hahahaha...that's so funny. Very nice of Vien :D

mommy of 2 angels said...

oii online no cambodian language school ah??

The New Parent said...

Hi A-Q--really interesting post! Some funny (and frustrating )moments. Sounds like you're working things out with her nicely.

Does she want to be a maid?

Anggie's journel said...

hi... hope this maid really work out for u seem u work hard to communicate with her .

mott said...

clap clap clap...

you really show good effort!!! Keep it up!!!!

Sweetpea said...

good effort :) silly how she can answer u 'milk powder' but still give juice :P

twin said...

hey good la ur maid improve ... my sis's old cambodian maid ah .. scold scream also no help .. no initiative ... communication problem somemore.

becky's mum said...

Kekeke... Next time if I want a Cambodia maid, then I can ask you to teach me liao...
Good luck!

laundryamah said...

that's what i'm afraid of, the communication problem..sigh...

Annie said...

after reading, i also feel trying a cambodian maid lar...

wHOisBaBy said...

wah annie speaking cambodian now. lesson from vien was so funny, wonder what tone to use for those words. hehehe

huisia said...

alamak,i try to read here...but feel like my tongue has tied, so difficult to read la..

Sasha said...

hahaha take a video and show us la!

LiL'deviL said...

I so understand why you screamed at her. But hey, all's good now right?

BabySashaNMom said...

So funny lol ur maid...
My sis colleague used cambodian maid but there don't have comm problem. They said the maid pick up english very fast.

Julian said...

wah like chicken and duck talking leh... sometimes it can be hard... but i tell u... after awhile either she can speak very well english and chinese and you can speak very well cambodian... hehehe

Karen said...

it possible for you to scan your 16 sentences and post it online... my cambo maid coming soon... very nervous///