Friday, October 17, 2008

Do u know what is this?

I also don't know this is consider a fruit or vege. It's only can get it from Sarawak, and it's on season. Hokkien people will call this thing as "gha na" for foochow we will call it "ka lang" if want to said what it mean it will be "olive". This is asian type "black olive"? Not too sure, but i know this is full of vitamin E. :)

Last few days my mum sent this to me, she know i miss this, and since now is the season so can easily get it. I can said most people dont like the taste, including all my in laws, non of them know how to eat it. They said taste funny, i give a few people tried, they also said taste funny, they are not use to the taste.

This fruits grow on the trees, so when it's fresh, it is hard, i usually will soak it in warmwater for 15-20 mins, till it soften. I will add some soya sauce + sugar and eat , some people will just eat like that or just add some salt. The olive taste, hmmmm i don't know how to describe it. At home, normally we will make a lot, and when we can't finish we will leave it in the fridge and we eat it when we feel like it, it taste good too when eat it when it's cold. I tell you, each time i can eat at least 20 or 30!!! This "olive" inside do have a seed, when we are young, my mum use to cut the seed to half, and we can eat the meat inside, something like nut. Yuummmm...



9 comments:

huisia said...

像蜜枣 :)

L'abeille said...

Truly..I've not seen this before.
Interesting!

beckysmum said...

Oh my... I miss this so much!!!

Binky! said...

I think I have seen this before at Kuching's Sunday Market. Eh, I didn't know you are a Foochow? My hubby is one too!

mybabybay said...

Yummy, I love olives. I used to eat those from China, now better not eat so much.

Mommy to Chumsy said...

oh i haven't seen them before. bigger than the normal olives. what a funny way to eat these eh? they look like dates to me :D

Sabrina said...

Annie,
I went back to Kuching and tried " o Ka lang" fried rice. So deliciour.Hehe..

jacss said...

never see or try before but i can tell i won't get use to it too... blek!! east msia taste is surely different from d west in certain extend hor....
no wonder someone so "FAIR & smooth" lah...vitamin E, rupa-rupanya....

Health Freak Mommy said...

Hey, I've never seen these fresh olives here before. Can I get them from the supermarkets here?