Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Homework

Yesterday my sons surprise me by showing me a file holder contain some "homework" for them from school teacher. I think they got really excited by carry the "blue file" around and with their name written on it. They always see their cousins carry the file when they are still in the same kindy. Now it's my sons turn, of course they feel so happy, and they never think carry that "file" means they have to do "homework".

Two of them spent the whole afternoon playing with the cousins, not write a page of words the teacher given. When i'm back home after work, they show me the exercise book, one book for number which got 3 pages need to finish, and one more exercise book for words also got 2 pages need to finish. Oh dear! This mummy start to get panic, quickly get the pencil, book and eraser ask them to sit down and write their homework.

It is not an easy job, more stress than my own job i think. They cannot sit still and now they are not writting on dotted line, and it's the word and number itself on the square box and lined exercise book. I find that they got problem on holding the pencil and write by their own too. Ask them to write "0" on the line exercise book, it will come out all the tiny tiny "0" 20 or 30 in a row. Sei mou? I have to erase then ask them to write again. Ask them to write "3" it will the other way round become "E" or "M", end up i have to hold their hand and write together with them one by one. *sigh sigh sigh* While i'm teaching Fearles, Cruz told me he is hungry, when i taught Cruz, Fearles was yawning away. I really got no patience, first day doing homework, i already feel stress and already start screaming. hahahhahahahhaha

Hmmmm, now i can feel how other mummies feel the stress when teaching the kids on their homework. Now, my "honeymoon" time had passed, no more after work can go "yam cha" , watch my favourite TV and read my magazines. I can't imagine when my boys start their standard one.

side note for Fearles: Last night while we are having dinner at mid valley, when we are waiting for the food to come, you use the pencil draw on the paper, daddy ask you how to write "2" since you already write one whole page of "2", you didn't write it but you draw a monster face on the paper. I had a good laugh and i didn't know you can draw quite well!!! hahahhahahah

11 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

ahhh...homework is stressful eh? mine doesn't have one yet but i've been asking her to do it at home cos she still can't hold a pencil properly. also, she still can't write well even with the dotted lines. how ah? i really don't have the patience too *pulls hair*

mybabybay said...

Wow so fast got homework stress. Relax a bit, I believe more will come as they grow older. Must learn to get immune to it.

LittleLamb said...

aiyo..dont get mang chang......dont stress..

can u reward them saying..when come back from kindy, do homework first. after homework can play. then if u follow correctly, then i will give reward like the things they like

slavemom said...

H/work for 4 yr-olds? At this stage, they may not be able to hold a pencil vy well. But hv to do writing h/work? That's so stressful for the kids n parents.

Krystal said...

Stress! I understand what you mean cos I've been sitting with Ryan to do his mandarin homework ever since he started his mandarin classes. Some more I dun know mandarin...sei mo!

2ma said...

i understand the stress coz i c mummy screaming her lungs out when she teaches shan leo everyday. but sometimes, shan leo will be a good boy and do everything nicely & fast...*phew*

usually, i leave them alone when they do homework coz i cannot tahan!!! lagi stress for a 3rd party la!!!

etceteramommy said...

I read that to improve a child's handwriting, first of all we have to ensure their pencil grip, posture and position has to be right. While most of us can write with our head bended, sitting on the floor, etc, it is strongly discouraged for kids who are starting to write. I hv seen specialty shop selling some award winning adjustable study table/chair specially for kids. Very cool but super ex!

Secondly is to give them generous opportunity to imprive their fine motor skills. Stress ball is actually a very good tool to start with. Play dough is also a good alternative for finger training. Lastly, if your boys like outdoor, those monkey bars are very good too. :D

jacss said...

u know what annie, i used to face the same phobia as u years ago when my boys first attended kindy!
same stress, no patient, scream & shout, rotan....
my opinion is that yr boys just aren't ready for homework yet!!

so i told d principal my problem & she advised that it's fine if they can't finished d whole page, so long as they r willing to try few words/few rows, it's a good start. i calmed myself down & go slowly with them.

and today, before i reach home after work, my boys had already finished their homework in d afternoon!! i just need to check & revise with them.

don't worry, kids need time to adapt to d culture of doing homework & very soon they will be able to grasp d flow & skills too!!

mumsgather said...

Aiks so fast got so much homework already ah? They should go easy. Start it right so that homework doesn't have to become a battle like meals. So says the screaming mom during homework time. Hahaha.

Binky! said...

I'm still partially in my "honeymoon" phase (my boy 27 mths) but I understand where you are coming from when you say you feel stress. My boy is currently undergoing speech and occupational therapies, and in both therapies, I need to be present and learn as well, so that I can pass on the information to my hubby and together we can teach our son. Sometimes, I feel stress because during the sessions, there are so many information to absorb and I forget and then can't practice with him...

Your last note to Fearless is so cute! I think my son will also have an inclination to arts than academics, judging from how much he loves Jay Chou!!!!!

IMMomsDaughter said...

I'm lucky that the after day care for Mei Mei makes sure they finish their homework before they go home.

As for Ryan, I tell you, I've turned into an old nag, forever threatening him to finish or else....