Monday, May 25, 2009

Birthday celebration @ school

I arranged a simple birthday celebration for my boys @ kindy last week Friday (22/5/2009), since this is the first year they celebrate at this new kindy, i thought doing something different, so i challenge myself to do 50+ bentos for the kindy friends and also the teachers.

Getting all the bentos box and some bento accessories one month ago. Then come to the most headache part is cake hunting. At first i was thinking to get a cake from secret recipe, the price not so cheap if i want to get a 2kg cake and with edible image, so i start browse through online, then i come across this online cake shop, it's one of my colleague good friend's cousin. I never try her cake before, it's like "risking" myself. :P Getting quotation from her, then i tell her what i want, we never talk over the phone, we communicate through e mail, i also don't dare to think too much. The price she gave me very reasonable, and i want edible image cake, it's a lot cheaper than to get it from secret recipe. Everything settle, just wait for the day to come. In fact, i order cupcakes from her also for the party @ home. (will blog about that later)

I can said not easy to prepare 50 if without any good helper, lucky i got my mum to help me. Night before we get all the vegetables for the "mee hoon", young corn for the deco all cut and slice and put in fridge, and we prepare some konnyaku jellies also, this is my first doing konnyaku jellies!! hahahhaha Next day, I applied a day off, just want to do the bentos and also company my mum to do some shopping.

My mum is a morning person, she wake up early, she help me to boil the quail eggs and peel the eggs shell first and put aside. When i wake up at 7.15am i already receive sms from the guy that sent cake for me for direction, not long after, he is already at my door step, before 8am i already got the cake!!!! After sending my boys to kindy, me and my mum went for breakfast then only start our big project. While sending my boys to school, Cruz sense something not right, he ask me, " why you wear like this??" He saw me wear jeans and tee and not my working clothes. I didn't answer him, he keep asked me a few times, i told him, mummy got something to do. hahahhaha.


before sending my boys to school, i get all the boxes ready

put a "thank you" sticker on every boxes with Dibo picture
At school i do "dibo" theme, but i cannot find any other things
like paper plates and cups.


"mini octopus" sausages, after boil....

first batch nuggets, quail eggs and fish balls

Reached home, start our " big project", boil the fish ball, sausages, then fried "mee hoon" and fried nuggets. This is my first time frying the "mee hoon" by myself, usually i will help my sil or she is beside me to guide me, but this round all on my own!! Taste so so only, because it's halal, so i didn't put meat, just fish cake and vege and without MSG.I thought we are early, all food ready by 10.30am, then start our part II - putting all the food into the boxes. Ask my "princess" to help, she give me more problem, make me scream & stress more, after my mum put the noodles in the box, i ask her to arrange nicely and accordingly so easier for me to put other food in, she just cannot follow simple instruction. Arrrggg!! *hair pulling*


I tell you, it is so "chi kik" - excited, racing with the time, because i have to get everything ready by 11.45am and sent it to school for the kids lunch hour. Friday, they will have early lunch @ 12pm, normal day they will have it around 12.30pm. While putting the food in, non of us talking, just concentrate doing our part, after my mum finish with the mee hoon, she help me to use the cutter cut the carrot and i do put the flower carrot in. I thought want to do "nori" on the quail egg, end up i don't have enough time!!!!! So it just really a simple bentos, with baran and picks. That's all!! Well, it's really a good experience, a good exercise for the "heart". When you see the time passing and near to the "deadline", and yet still got some not ready, your heart beat will pump faster too. hahahhahahhaha


my mum busy frying the nuggets, with my "princess" standing
aside "LOOKING"


my mum put the "mee hoon" in while i slowly add the quail
eggs, nuggets, corns into it.

another view...


almost done....


Done! this is the final results - not so nice!!



Finally we get all ready by 11.35am, quickly ask my princess to put all the boxes into the bags, and put the cake into the car,then i quickly go for a "super quick shower", changed then go to school. I give the teacher a called first before i go, ask the teacher to bring my sons away from the class first, after i "set up" the cake then only bring them out.


put on all the covers and ready to go!!!!!!

Reach school, everyone still in the class, i quickly take out the cake and put all the bentos into the kitchen, teacher want to have cake cutting session first then only lunch. While i putting on the candles, out of no where i heard my sons ask me "why mummy come to my school??" hahahahhahaha then they saw their "Dibo Birthday Cake" all the kids get so excited!! Till the teacher have to ask all the kids go and sit properly.

After light up the candles, teacher get all the kids sing "Happy Birthday" song, my mum said my two boys look so happy and keep smilling, which i didn't notice, because i want to take picture but i cannot find a good spot to stand, because all the kids are sitting on the floor! All the kids show enthusiastic in singing the birthday song and with my sons's teacher playing guitar on a side, suddenly i just feel so touch, i don't know why, silly me. :)


Dibo the birthday cake!!!




don't count the candles, i put more because i know my boys
like to blow candles! haahahhaha but i did put a big number "4" candles
on it!



cake cutting....

Finish cake cutting, i was busy at the kitchen to cut the cake for the kids, while teachers were distribute the bento lunch to every kids. Some of them going back home, not stay back for lunch, the teacher give them the bentos and let them bring back. The birthday celebration over so quick, just within 1/2 hour all done, whereby mummy spent the whole morning prepare the things. hahahahhahahah


part of the kids having their lunch...


my boys and their friends



Finally i can let go a big "PHEW!!", it's over, and i feel so relief!!! hahahhahahha

30 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

The bentos are lovely!! Good job Annie. The children must be really happy to see the nicely decorated bento. The Dibo cake is so cute! Did your boys give you a big kiss afterwards?

I am Princess Misha's Mum said...

GOod job!! Really need to salute you lar .. 50 + bentos wor .. hehehe .. asked me to prepare one .. also susah ...

Once again !!! You really did a good job :) SO next year .. 100 bentos?? Muahahahahahaha

coffeesncookies said...

OMG ! If there's a marathon bento contest, I'll send your post in. Your idea very genuine and I think this will make the other 48mums/teachers all run to the bento supply shops. hahaha...

Sasha said...

wah realy marathon! preparation is so long and everything ended in 30 mins haha. But i think its worth it when u can see all the kids smile esp yr own twins.

Irene said...

i TABIK you! TABIKKKKKKKKK!

at least, this is so memorable, party packs use already throw, what u gave, can keep!

great job!

FAMILY FIRST said...

I think this is one of the most beautiful post about kids birthday. If I were a kid, I would be really happy cos I also get to take home a bento box as a gift!

And oh ya, when you said "princess" I was really scratching my head .. eh, she got daughter meh .. after see pics then I know! Ha! Ha!

LittleLamb said...

wah...can u be my mama.. n do birthday party for me with bento? Annie..that very good for u. I m sure Fearles and Cruz was very very happy that day...

The bento is great....

jacss said...

hey annie, my neck finally stop growing...n i hv a lot to say, LOL!
i also let out a big sigh of relief for you!! by just reading yr post, i can feel the 'chi kik' of the whole preparation.

-tat's really so many tools involved that i think i might give up if i start counting the $$ & cent...didn't expect u to include baran, pick & even sauce bottle...my goodness!! did u dare to count how much u incurred ahh, haha but guess that doesn't matter as i can see u were really really 'kam tung' seeing the ultimate outcome!! luckily u didn't cry leh...else teacher sure say this mummy very 'soh-soh',LOL!!

-it's smart tat u switched to fried meehoon instead, else i wonder how to shape sushi rice for 50pax!!

-btw, never heard of Dibo before leh...am i already out of that stage ahh...too old, tsk tsk tsk!!

-can't help to laugh at yr 'princess' punya standing style lar...monyet betul ehh!!

-finally applaud yr good job....u beat all & set a precedent!! am sure more ppl will like this idea...including me!!

Krystal said...

I look at the 50 bento boxes oso I heart attack. Good job Annie! Really tabik you :0

mybabybay said...

Wow, you can feed an army with that. Really supermom!

Happy birthday Cruz and Fearless.

khongfamily said...

Annie, you are really 'geng'!! 50 bentos are really not easy to prepare. Eventhough the whole thing only lasted 30 mins...it's all worthwhile to see the smiley and happy face of your kids :). Salute!!!

Charming said...

Annie, GREAT JOB!!! Made with such love, and I am sure sweat as well. What a great idea to make bentos for each child. 50! Double thumbs up to you.

slavemom said...

U took up the 50+ bento challenge n u did it! Well done! The boys must be so happy with their special suprise b'day party in sch. Their current fav char is Dibo?

etceteramommy said...

Excellente!!! A job very well done! I'm sure your boys are so proud of their mommy.

Love the Dibo cake. Hahaha.. why so many candles??

Anggie's Journal said...

Oh my GOD.. this is what u call a simple celebration ??? for me ... very 'keng' lei ... the bento the cake was wonderful beautiful ...

Thanks for sharing the idea !! love it ....

Happy 4th Birthday to ur 2 boys.

L'abeille said...

Wah super mama, "lei hai tak geh!"

Happy Belated Birthday to the twin boys! :)

janice said...

while i read i feel the "chi kek"ness liao hahaha..

BRAVO !!!.. u are super mOM !!.. i salute you 99

Wena said...

I found your blog through one of the bento blogs that I read regularly.

Birthday Greets to your boys and congratulations of making it through 50+ bentos!

I know the feeling of preparation and relief although mine was slightly different. 2 girls preparing 300 fried chicken wing for a charity sale. >.>

jazzmint said...

keng lah u, 50 bento set!!! You ask me do 1 also can KO oredi

Rina said...

Wow - the bentos are lovely. Kudos for such a good job. Puts my efforts at my daughter's kindy a shame!!

Hijackqueen said...

Fuyoh, like catering only. i want to say, SO KIASU LO. SO MANY CANDLES :p

Lil' Monsters, Inc. said...

U REALLY 'yau sam'!!!! Well done, mommy.

IMMomsDaughter said...

Walau! 50 Bento boxes. Really salute you.

Mummy to QiQi said...

i wanna pengsan seeing the amount of bentos u made. hehe...so funny about your princess there!

HN said...

I am the one who feel touched lerr... You are such a good mommy!!! Never even complaint a little about the cost, hard work and the effort spent ... I just feel how happy and 'chi kik' you were while preparing the bentos :)Ahh, Happy Belated Birthday to your lovely boys too!

Lovely Mummy said...

wow, not easy to prepare 50 bentos...you really a good mummy... :)

shoppingmum said...

You are the best mom!!! Wah seh, 50 bentos is mission impossible for me. LOL! Great job!

laundryamah said...

waraoeh!! Salute!! clap clap clap!

Health Freak Mommy said...

Oh my very goodness, you actually prepared all the bento boxes? I salute you. I will never ever do such a thing! You are really keng chau!

BoeyJoey said...

Hi, just like to share that for my son's birthday, I've prepared 60 goodie bags and I thought I'm going to faint!
50 bentos with yummy food! Really respect your effort and very original idea!