Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Red & Black

Today i am going to write about Sibu "Foochow" famous and well known Red & Black soup.

During my mum recent visit, beside than the food i blog in previous post, she also brought chicken and duck from Sibu. I can said, every visit she will bring these two items for me. You may asked, the chicken and the duck taste different from here ? I can tell you, yes. The "kampung" chicken got chicken taste, and the duck from my hometown usually we use it to boil with "pak zhan" . To my understand, the ducks over here, mostly they use for roast instead of boil it as soup.

Some of my friend had asked me, what is so special about foochow red rice wine and the mee suah. I said once they try they will know what is so special about it. You know what, during my confinement, all my rice wine are "import" from Sarawak, i am not use to the rice wine in KL, it has sweet taste.

Last week, Elaine and Vivian (my friend, she is from Miri, Sarawak) were at my place and my mum cook foochow red rice wine chicken soup + mee suah for them. I can see Elaine enjoy herself very much, she keep saying very good. hahhahahahha. As for Vivian, she had it before when i was in my confinement. You might not know, we foochow will have red rice wine chicken soup on birthday, confinement or any guest come and visit the mummy confine at home, they will get to eat a bowl of the mee suah with red rice wine chicken soup.

Ok, enough of talking, now let me show you the picture.....


my mum fried the ginger with sesame oil first, then add in some water and foochow rice wine and cook it for about 1 hour +. You can see the soup not so "red" in colour, cos my mum scare not everyone can take strong chicken wine soup.


we will add more rice wine to the mee suah according to our liking..


it look a bit "blank", because we didn't add any chinese mushroom, it will taste more yummy with some mushroom.


this is my bowl of mee suah with foochow chinese red rice wine. I should "decorate" nicely on my bowl of mee suah, but i am too hungry to do so, can't wait to eat it!

I had this two days in a row, second day i add more wine to my mee suah!

Before my mum went back today, she cook "pak zhan" with duck. This is my dinner last night, a big bowl of "pak zhan" soup with mee suah!! While i am eating this bowl of mee suah, Fearles who just finish his dinner not long ago, he also want few spoons from me. After he finish his art class at home, he request me to cook him a small bowl. I am quite surprise he like "pak zhan", he only eat this when we back to Sibu, or when my mum was here. Not many people like the "pak zhan" taste, but the "pak zhan" from Sibu taste sweeter. Really! Sometime Vivian like to ask my mum to bring her some also.




This is what i call Red and Black soup!!

Red = Foochow red rice wine chicken soup

Black = "pak zhan" with duck soup.

18 comments:

suituapui said...

That's "pek ting eyok"? I like it with duck...but between the two, I prefer the red a lot more...

smallkucing said...

*sigh* my confinement, 1 drop of chicken wine also I didnt get to drink. Drink Chicken Essence also kena curi curi :(

Inspired Momx1 said...

I like the taste of "pak zhan" and usually boil it with chicken and drink it after my period is over.

I like rice wine too but never tried Foochow red wine though.

eugene said...

Rice wine is my fav,,, i am not sure if you know here in Penang we have this we call "Mee Sua Kua" something like that,,, good

~LiLHypPo's mUMmy~ said...

Umm...paiseh hor. I never had these before :P Will give it a try when I see them

Shenny's mommy said...

Hmm...yummy. Ha..my mom too likes to tag along some seafood, chicken and ducks from hometown when comes to visit us in KL.

Merryn said...

yum.... i so love this! Wanna book this for my confinement next time :P

Pete said...

Haven't tried red wine mee suah, looks yummy!

Christina said...

Hi Mommy, I have been following your blog for quite sometime. Enjoy reading all your entries. Just got to know that you are from Sibu! I'm from Sibu too. Now staying in Penang.
The pictures posted make me drooooool~ haha... miss the kam bua and kong pia very very much!
I love the pek ding yok with duck too! The sweetness is different from pek ting yok with chicken or pork. :)
I'm sure you had great time eating those yummy hometown food. :)

cleffairy said...

The last picture looks so yummy. o.O

Annie Q said...

STP: Yes, that is "pek ting yeok"! It's nice to cook with duck, bring the sweet taste to the soup. You're not foochow, that's why not really like "pek ting yeok"? hahahah

smallkucing: how come you no drink chicken wine lei? I thought is a must during confinement?

Inspired Momx1: foochow will cook this like normal soup dish, i only knew normally over here, ladies will drink it after their period is over. Next time if got chance, you tried the foochow red rice wine. I heard there is one restaurant at Taman Tun Plaza, they serve foochow red rice wine mee suah, taste good, i have not try out yet.

eugene: no wor, what is "mee sua kua"? Maybe if next round i go Penang, should try it.

Agnes: this is east Malaysia food, not frequent can see it here, unless there is some restaurant is selling it. The red one can find in KL, but not the black one. :)

Shenny's mummy: i think all mummies are the same? hahahhahah Maybe one day after our kids grow up, we will be the one bring them hometown food.

Merryn: yes yes, then invite us to your house to enjoy the chicken red wine. Yum!!

Pete: I think you will like it. Go Sibu, STP will cook for you. :)

Christina: Thanks for dropping by and i have link you up in my blogroll, come more often ok?
Great to know another mummy from Sibu. My mum usually will come twice or thrice a year, so everytime when she come, she will bring me kampua, kompia, pek ding yok, duck and chicken. Yes, pek ding yok with duck is yummylicious, sometime when i craving for pek ding yok, and no duck for me, i will use pork, taste not as good as duck.

Cleffairy: yes, yummy yummy. :)

mNhL said...

I can't really take wine. During confinement, I also take a little bit only. I mabuk easily. hehe.... even rice wine / ginger wine makes me mabuk..

prince n princess mum said...

Red one looks appetizing...

LittleLamb said...

From the picture, I wanted to comment..not red enough! the ones we eat is red red man... sigh..now when i see it..i want to eat. Got 1 shop in Jln Imbi sells this. Also, for our family, those want more "strong" will add 1 tablespoon XO lagi....

jen cheung said...

yum yum yum yum! the food looks really yummmmmmilicious ar! just what I need right now - but i had instant noodles earlier already :( too bad. its too late to eat again. 315am here! uh oh

have a nice day!

jen

MK mummy said...

mmmm... yummy mee suah soup... I too, had it during my confinement... of course not with foochow rice wine lah..

eh.. pak zhan...i tot this is the herbal soup for women only??!

Mommy Ling said...

Oh...rice wine...i run away first. Sked of rice wine...guess i will only eat these during confinement

jacss said...

next time u gotta serve this unique dish for guest lar coz it looks like sarawak special ma!
i bet i would like it too coz i love eating the confinement drunken soup...whatever wine they are :P